Fr. Anthony M. Coniaris - Greek Orthodox Retired Clergy Association
Father Anthony M. Coniaris has served Saint Mary's Greek Orthodox Church in Minneapolis, MN since 1948. Ordained a Deacon in 1950 and a Priest in 1953, he is a native of Boston, Massachusetts, where he graduated from the Boston Latin School. He is a graduate of the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Theological Seminary in Brookline, Massachusetts (Bachelor of Theology) as well as the Northwestern Theological Seminary in Minneapolis (since merged with Luther Seminary Master of Divinity). He has attended post-graduate studies in the field of religion and psychiatry at the University of Minnesota and at Saint John's University in Collegeville, MN. Father Coniaris served on the Council of Religious Advisors at the University of Minnesota.
He is past President of the Minneapolis Ministerial Association, the Twin Cities Metropolitan Church Commission, the Minneapolis Professional Men's Club, the Minneapolis Kiwanis, and the Greater Minneapolis Council of Churches. He was a member of the, Board of the Children's Heart Fund, and is listed in WHO'S WHO IN RELIGION 1976-77. Author of several books, he received the Three Hierarchs Medal for outstanding service from Holy Cross School of Theology.
He retired in January 1993 after serving Saint Mary’s for 44 years.
He is currently President of Light and Life Publishing Company, and has served on the Standing Committee of Liturgical Translations of the Archdiocese. He also served as Professor of the Homiletics at Holy Cross Seminary.
During his priesthood at Saint Mary's he worked through the local Philoptohos chapter to bring close to 100 Greek children to Minneapolis for open-heart surgery at the University of Minnesota Hospital under Dr. Lilihai. This was accomplished with the assistance of Social Service Department of the Archdiocese of Athens and the Children's Heart Fund of Minnesota. He helped establish the Saint John Chrysostom Lecture series at Holy Cross Seminary, which funds an annual lectureship series on effective preaching.
During his pastorate at Saint Mary's he led the congregation in building a magnificent church, school building and social hall in 1956-7 on one of the most prestigious city sites, overlooking beautiful Lake Calhoun. The complex was enlarged with an additional building in 1972. A Scholarship has been established at Holy Cross Seminary in the names of Fr. Anthony and Presvytera Mary Coniaris to assist needy students.
Fr. Coniaris served for several years on the Archdiocese Board and Missions as well as on the Presbyter's Council.