Fr. Dean Timothy Andrews - Greek Orthodox Retired Clergy Association
Agrégateur de contenus
Born: February 2, 1914
Died: July 18, 2007
Rev. Dean Timothy Andrews, (nee Constantine Andrews Arvanitis) passed away peacefully in his sleep on Wednesday July 18th. He was 93 years old and lived a full life in dedication to the Greek Orthodox Church, his family and myriad friends.
He is survived by his loving wife, Presvytera Maritsa Andrews, who he married on February 1, 1953, his children and son-in-laws and grandchildren: daughters P. Zoë Stavri and her husband William F. Polsgrove, Stephanie C. Andrews and her husband Marc A. White Jr., and his son Christopher G.T. Andrews, and his beloved grandchildren, Marina A. White, Marc A. White III, and Alexandra L. White, and also his brothers William Arvanitis and his wife Penny, Ernest Arvanitis and his wife Helen, and his sister Sophie Demitrack and her husband George. His father, Andrew Arvanitis and wife Zoë Banos Arvanitis, sister Chrysoula, and brother Dimitri, all preceded him in death. His brother George Arvanitis, followed him exactly a month later. He has several nieces and nephews and friends, colleagues, students and former parishioners, who will miss him as well.
Father Timothy was born on February 2, 1914 in Salem MA and spent most of his youth in Lynn MA. He graduated from Gordon College in Boston in 1937 with a BA in Theology and also studied at the University of Athens, and the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Theological School in Pomfret CT where he was one of the members of the graduating class in 1942. He received a Graduate Degree in Library Science from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn NY in 1945, and an MA in Psychology and Library Science from Columbia University in New York City in 1950.
Father Timothy was ordained a deacon on Memorial Day 1953, and a Greek Orthodox priest on July 4, 1953. His first parish assignment was at Saint Sophia's in San Antonio TX. He was a full-time and substitute priest in over 130 churches throughout the country. He was also the first priest assigned to serve Saint Catherine's, Quincy MA, Saint George, Bethesda MD, and Saint Mark, Boca Raton FL.
He is probably the most noted librarian in the history of the Archdiocese of North and South America, working first at the Pratt Institute and New York Public Library, Director of the Grove City University PA library, and Government Librarian for the US Department of Agriculture, Washington DC. He was best known as the principle organizer and Director of Libraries at the Hellenic College and the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Theological School in Brookline MA. He also developed the Saint Basil Academy Library in Garrison NY and the Libraries of the Archdiocese in NYC. His intellectual contributions include important translations, bibliographies, and articles in numerous periodicals.
In 1988, he was one of the founding fathers and first treasurer of the Retired Clergy Association along with Fathers John Zanetos, Demosthenes Mekras, Emmanuel Bouyoucas, and George Papadeas. In 1995 he was honored at a Testimonial Dinner in Boca Raton and accorded the honorary title of Priest Emeritus. In 2002 he was awarded the Three Hierarchs medal.
His sermons were legendary, and a special light would come into his eyes when he preached to children. He was an avid cross-worder and enjoyed a good pun. He loved classical music and the fine arts and never lost his intellectual curiosity. He was a devoted father and husband and grandfather, a loyal friend, and served the Church arduously. He will be missed, but he has left a piece of himself in many.